Founded in 1982, Rising Sun is a Winnipeg School Division program located at 429 Elgin Avenue. It is an offsite alternative program of Gordon Bell High School.
- First Nations and Metis students
- Academically able, skill deficits are due to a history of poor attendance
- Graduates of junior high alternative programs
- History of failure in large school settings
- To provide academic programs based on the needs of Aboriginal students
- To provide positive experiences in a small group setting
- To foster the development of positive identity and pride in indigenous heritage and culture
- To provide an opportunity to become aware of and participate in community issues
- To increase students' skill levels to qualify for S4 graduation
Rising Sun is divided into 2 classes with 12 students in combined S3 & S4 and 12 students in S2 with continuing S1 students.
- Small group and individualized programs
- Continuous progress
- Coursework based on provincial curriculum guides.